Sunday, November 19, 2006

Mr. & Mrs. Goodlett: A Reflection on Our 1 Year Anniversary!

A Collage of Our First Year of Marriage




So today is November 19, 2006! Michael and I have been married for one whole year today. It blows my mind in one way yet in another way it feels like its about time! Where did this whole thing start?
Michael was persistent enough to continue to ask me out back in 2002 even though I was positive, so I thought, that I didn't want a boyfriend. He finally told me that he was coming to Barbourville to stay for the weekend and that if I wanted to go out on a date that would be great, and if not, he would find something to do and then go back to Louisville and I would never have to see him again. Guess what? He did just that! And of course, me being the good girl that I am, I couldn't let this sweetheart come to this little town and feel all alone, I went out with him.
That date was the start of a lifetime relationship. I can remember being extremely ill as I got closer and closer to our meeting spot. It was so bad that my friend Misty's husband Chris was convinced that they should turn around and take me home. However, Misty wouldn't hear of it, so we continued. Boy am I glad that she did give me that extra boost of encouragement! Misty and I at graduation
I remember the smell of Michael's cologne, Clinique Happy for men. I was in shock as I hugged him and took in this awesome smell. I remember looking at him for the first time face to face and feeling my knees get weak, honestly!
He was so handsome and not my type at all. I was use to falling for guys who had a small frame and no muscles visible at all. I always claimed that these guys would be my equal and that I didn't want someone to "protect" me. Michael was the opposite. He was a bit taller than me and muscular. I felt protected and for the first time, that wasn't so bad. He had ice blue eyes and a kind hearted smile. I was amazed. Actually, I was so amazed that I told Misty in the bathroom of Ruby Tuesday in London that he may just be "the one".
The day he met my parents!
Us after celebrating our birthdays for the first time

However, Michael began to let his thoughts get the best of him. He began to wonder if this kind of relationship would be best for him and for me. We lived 3 hours away from each other. I was broke and in college with barely a free moment and he was unsure if this was something he wanted to really commit totally to. We took a break for a couple of days at the end of July. It broke my heart, but I was ultimately the one who called it off. I told him that if he wasn't sure, I didn't want to hold him back.
Immediately, he realized his mistake and he begged me to forgive him. I communicated to him that I didn't want to involve him in something that may be more than he could handle. He told me that he wanted it no other way. That night I prayed for God to give me guidance. I had heard all the negative comments about a long distance relationship, yet I still felt that God was leading me to give it another shot. So I did and I'm grateful that I did so.
Michael and I spent countless time together. I would stay with his parents and then he would stay with mine. No matter how hopeless the situation seemed, God seemed to work it out for us. We became engaged on January 1, 2003 12am at the riverfront in Louisville, Ky.
Us after I graduated from Union in 03

The next year brought about more traveling and time spent with each other's families. Holidays here and there, birthdays, other occassions finding somewhere to share. Finally it was time for us to begin setting up our life. I was half way through my first year teaching when Michael moved into my childhood home to prepare for our future. My parents and I had moved 20 minutes away into a new home that God had blessed my parents with. Michael and I were going to live in my old home after we got married.

Michael and I fishin' at the beach in 03
However, something wasn't quite right. I knew that I loved my fiance' but I just felt like somethiing was lacking in my heart. God was speaking to me. It hurt me to think about it, but it got to the point that I could no longer enjoy spending time with Michael because of this awkward feeling. I couldn't explain it and he couldn't understand it. We broke up shortly after he arrived here and he had moved away within a couple of months.
Pain flooded my heart and soul as I searched for answers. Why did this happen? I loved him, so why did I let myself push him away? I could not figure it out until I started looking outside the box.
During this painful time, the only comfort I could find was in God's house. I felt that God was leading me away from my home church, the church I had been raised in for 21 years. I began going to all sorts of Baptist churches. I actually went to any singing, revival, teaching, etc that I could find because those were the only times that I felt at peace with my situation.
I visited Binghamtown Baptist quite often and found that God dealt with my heart profoundly there. I had visited once before for the funeral of Pastor Bingham and was amazed at the celebration of life that developed that day. I had attended the funeral because I had always admired this spiritual man of God and his work. My grandmother would request that we call upon him for prayer above any other preacher. I felt as though I needed to pay my repects to this Heavensent Man of God.
So now I was visiting Binghamtown and realizing that the work that the elder Preacher Bingham had started was faithfully being continued by his youngest son William Boyd Bingham and the rest of the church family. I recall Wed. night studies of the book (I have mentioned before in my entry about Danielle) by Hunter Bingham entitled "Praying When Life Hurts." This book study was near to my heart because it was exactly what I needed to hear from God. Preacher Bingham, a willing vessel, also knew just when to pat me on the shoulder and tell me that everything would be alright. I knew that every word from his mouth was from God because he had no clue about my situation or even who I was at that time. He was just letting God be his guide.
Days turned into months and I attended every service at Binghamtown. I made new friends, God bless my friend Danielle who helped me through some hard times. Michael and I would talk and then we would stop talking again. I felt as though it was pretty much over. However, there was still a little voice inside me that would encourage me to speak to him when the opportunity would arise.
The start of another new year was on its way on New Years Eve 2003. I was going through some personal issues and believe it or not, he was the only person that I wanted to talk to about them. I called him up and we talked all night long. He begged me to come down for the holiday and I reluctantly said no. However, we continued talking a bit here and there and even spent some time together when I chaperoned an Academic Team trip to Louisville in March of 04. After that trip we had decided to try again, but some issues came up with him that made things, once again have to be put on hold. God saw us through and we decided that we were going to try our best at this.
Once again, a couple of months later while I was in Washington, he backed out again. He just couldn't get past the hurt that I had caused him when he had moved for me. By this time I had realized that God had been dealing with my heart and that He had put it upon my heart to break up with Michael so that He could have my undivided attention. I had put my fiance' above my relationship with God without even realizing it. God had given me hints, signs, nudges that I needed to open my eyes. They didn't work, but He knew that losing Michael would open my eyes and let me realize what I had done. And it did. I realized it. Michael, however, didn't understand why I had been so unsure.
Finally, after months of going back and forth, we had a heart to heart talk and discussed how God had worked in both of our lives. I explained that God had used our breakup to open my eyes and Michael told me that he understood. We began dating again in the summer of 2005 and we became engaged for the 2nd time at the top of the ferris wheel at the Kentucky State Fair on August 20th 2005. It was actually only moments away from my birthday of August 21st. Michael proposed with a pink sapphire ring that would hold the place on my finger until I could get back home and pull out the engagement ring that I had longed to place back on my finger for so long.
This set things in full swing for us. Here we were praying for God to help us make it this time. And He did. God is so good! We set our date for November 19, 2005 in Gatlinburg, TN. We were married at a garden attrium that was affliated with an actual wedding ministry and we had a Church Sermon wedding : ) Our family and closest friends were in attendance and most importantly, God was the number one focus of our wedding. We had our reception at a 3 story cabin his parents had rented and it was amazing and laid back. Our honeymoon was spent in the Smoky Mountains at a condo of our very own complete with a heart shaped tub.

Our Beautiful Cake
Michael trying to smear cake on me!!!

Looking at Each Other On the Balconey of the Cabin
Posing at Texas Roadhouse During Our Honeymoon

Door to our Honeymoon Condo
View from our Honeymoon Condo
My Car after Danielle Painted It Up!


So a year later here we are. I am laying in bed sick with the flu and Michael is coming down with it. I look horrible with one eye so swollen that it looks as though it is melting, yet he still manages to kiss me on the forehead and say "I love you babygirl!"
God had a journey for my husband and I to go through. It was hard but we perservered and made it through. Actually, we are still making it through. Our first year has been full of ups and downs, highs and lows, but God has remained constant. Whenever we have strayed a bit from Him, we have turned and asked for His guidance once more and He has not failed us yet. I pray that we keep Jesus the focus in this marriage and that we always turn toward Him when we realize we have strayed away from His guidance.
To my husband, thank you for being the closest example of perfect that there is in a husband. Thank you for loving me when I am unlovable and for helping me when I am unbearable. Thank you for being my best friend here on earth and for being such a wonderful Christian example to me each and every day. I love you and I look forward to the moments to come in our marriage. (P.S. I can't wait to see if our babies actually have red hair!)
To my Heavenly Father, thank you for guiding Michael and I throughout our lives. Thank you for every obstacle and challenge that we have been through both individually and together. Thank you for all the good moments that help us when we are in the valleys thinking that life is just not worth living. Thank you for creating Michael to complete me and me to complete Michael. I pray a special blessing upon our marriage and our future. Please Father help us to focus solely on YOU and YOU alone! Please Lord, help us to stay the course even though there are marriages falling apart around us left and right. Protect us, lead us, and guide us, In Your Precious Son' Name, Jesus ....... Amen.




No comments: