Monday, November 06, 2006

I want to be like Hannah!


Good evening to all:

I sit here in my bed, pretty much well relaxed and rested after a whole day off here at home. I have been working on my online tests and measurements classwork since last night and I am almost finished with the exception of one lesson assignment. I decided to clean off some of the old emails on my computer and now that I have finished with that, I decided to go to my MyWay.com page and visit my daily links. I visited Kristi's Blog and I was welcomed by a billboard picture of Hannah Sobeski. (Kristi, if you are reading this I am copying that picture and link from your page!)




I clicked on the link that was provided in Kristi's entry and was directed to Channel 7 WSPA news in Spartanburg, SC. The news website contains an interview video clip with Hannah. I am requesting that all that read this entry check this clip out! http://www.wspa.com/midatlantic/spa/home.html and click Hannah Sobeski interview. Please watch this clip if for no other reason but to honor this courageous, young girl.
I cried as I watched Hannah discuss her cancer in the interview. She spoke with courage and with firm faith. I was amazed at her strong composure. She stated that she would like to graduate from Clemson in 4 years, get married, and have children. BUT, she made sure to add that if that was not God's will for her, that she would be fine with that.
I sit here in awe tonight. I complain all the time about staying so busy and never getting to take a break. Today, I've had a peaceful break. I have enjoyed it! However, how ungrateful of me to complain about a full life when there are others, like Hannah, who aren't getting to do the things that I am doing. Do I really need to complain at all? And I know, we are all human. Females, at least my female friends, love to complain a bit here and there, we call it "VENTING." I realize that it is good to talk and get things out of your system, however its moments like these, people like Hannah, that make me reevaluate my entire life.
With that said, please don't think Hannah is lacking in anyway. She is probably closer to Jesus right now than any of us. She stated in her interview that her priorities had changed alot since she had been diagnoised with cancer. She talked about the importance of relationships with family and friends, and most importantly God. Hannah is not missing out on anything that could ever mean more than what she is being blessed to experience.
I pause momentarily tonight to ask myself a question, are my priorities in order? Simple answer, no. Yes, they are more in order now than they have been in a long time. Yes, I do my best to put Jesus first in EVERYTHING that I do. However, I fail quite often at that. And sometimes satan uses that to try to push me further away. I'll admit, sometimes it works. So many people laugh when I say that I should be living a better life for God. They tell me that if I am doing such a sloppy job, they must really be bad off. But, its a personal thing. My best attempts may seem wonderful to some people, actually they would seem wonderful to me a few years back if I could have glimpsed into the future, but the closer you get to God, the closer you want to be.
I have always been known as "a good girl" and you know what, that has never bothered me. I have always had 100 pairs of eyes watching me to see if I really am living this life with Jesus that I speak of. I'm not perfect, I've made mistakes. I continue to make mistakes daily. However, I have had Jesus through all things that I have been through, and He has pulled me up when I have fallen and helped me get started on the right path again.
I look back at my high school and college years and I am so thankful to God that he preserved my testimony. I am glad that I wasn't swayed into attending weekend parties or sharing intimate moments with random guys. I always had people telling me that I would regret not "living", but that's what they didn't understand, I was and still am "living!" Survey most adults in the world today and rarely will you find any that can say that they have never touched alcohol, drugs, tobacco, etc. Most can't say that they have only been with their husbands. That's the easy way out. It's easy to get drunk or high. It's easy to be "well known" with guys. It takes integrity to NOT do those things. And those who don't are extremely unique.
Do I say all this to toot my own horn? Nope. I give God the glory for the preservation of my testimony. I pray continuously for Him to continue preserving it. I could make a bad decision right now and have to live with the consequences forever. But by God's grace, He sustains me and helps me to be a light to my family, friends, students, etc. Its nothing about me that is good, its only Jesus that is in me that is good. I say all these things to open the eyes of those of you reading. Young or old, male or female, good past or not so good past; Jesus died for you, too. Turn from your sin and depend on Him. Don't try to fix yourself, instead give yourself to Him and let Him do the fixing!
I've said all of the above to say this, I want to be like Hannah Sobeski! I am 8 years her senior, but she is at a spiritual level of maturity far greater than mine. What a light for Jesus! I want to be like Hannah... now the accountable question for my readers, Do you?

No comments: