Friday, January 19, 2007

Melancholy....... And Blessed!



"A FRIEND LOVETH AT ALL TIMES......" PROVERBS 17:17
Ever had one of those days that leaves you in a melancholy mood? I'm not sad, not excited, not stressed, not relaxed, just melancholy. Melancholy is probably one of my favorite words. It's just a pretty word to write and it just rolls off your tongue with ease. The dictionary definition of melancholy is "Pensive reflection or contemplation. " That describes me perfectly tonight.


I have been through so much in the past few weeks, sickness and surgery. However, I am not sad, if anything I am grateful. I could have died, yet God saw it fit to provide me more time on this earth to work for Him. I really have been blessed. I have seen God's hand in every step of this situation. He let me feel the pain that led me to the hospital. In turn, I ended up in surgery. I want to share with you yet another awesome blessing that God sent my way this week.


I have a lot of good people to work with at my school, however, there are not many that I can honestly say that I really trust. Ms. Rebecca Hurst is one of those people. She has always been a shoulder for me when I have really needed it. I feel as though I can talk to her beyond most anyone! This week she handed Tina a card for me. She knew that I had been sick, and being the person that she is, she was concerned. Tina and I didn't end up catching up with each other until I went back to work on Wed. Tina gave the card to my mom and she gave it to me. I placed it in a folder with a Guidepost book to take home and read. Wed. evening was a blur and Thursday was even more so because I was so worn out. I never opened that folder.


Today Ms. Hurst came to my room to work on my computers for a new reading program that is beginning. She and I were laughing and enjoying each other's company when she asked if I had received her card. I had to stop for a moment and think and then I realized that I had. I thanked her and mentally decided that I need to get it out of my folder and read what she had written. At the end of the day I was beginning to feel so tired and pain was kicking in from my surgery. I decided that during my seventh period class I would try to take it easy and let the students continue their math game with me being a little less involved. I began to go through my folder of things and I came across the card. I opened it and began to read the front. I smiled and flipped open the card to find a beautiful note and a gift from Ms. Hurst. Tears sprang to my eyes as I realized just how much of a blessing that God had given me by letting me work so closely with her. Not many people these days would think enough of a colleague, a friend even, to take the time to let them know how much they cared. Yet here she had selflessly spent time to make me smile. How precious!


I was reminded, even after a rough day at work, just how precious a true friend is. I saw Jesus in Rebecca Hurst today and it was such a beautiful encounter. I hope that each of you reading this receive a visit from Him through a beautiful person in the coming week. And if you do, please take the time to thank Him for the selflessness of that person!


No comments: