Monday, September 01, 2008

Romans 6: 12-19

Romans 6: 12-19

12
Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.

13Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.

14For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.

15What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.

16Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?

17But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.

18Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.

19I speak after the manner of men because of the infirmity of your flesh: for as ye have yielded your members servants to uncleanness and to iniquity unto iniquity; even so now yield your members servants to righteousness unto holiness.


These are beautiful verses of scripture. They ring true in so many of our Christian lives. How many times do we give up the victory that Jesus has already given us so that we can turn back to a "pet" sin that we seek comfort in? Are we using our "members" for God's glory? Do we remember consistently that we are "made free from sin" and that we are "under grace" and not the law? These are important truths that we find in the book of Romans.

Often times as Christians we find ourselves committing a sin repeatedly because we know that we can ask for forgiveness. However, this is an abuse of God's forgiveness. I, myself, have been guilty of this in the past and yes, God forgave me, BUT in the whole process I lost my joy. I lost my joy in knowing that I was pleasing my Savior with my actions. I didn't consciously wake up each day saying that I was scheduling in that sin at such in such time, no. However, I did let myself be put into situations where I was vulnerable and weak to satan's temptations.

We all have "pet sins" and though ours may not seem like that big of a deal to others, they are huge to us and we know they are wrong. Remember in God's eyes, sin is sin and there is no comparison. We need to realize that we too died on the Cross along with Jesus that day. When we repented and accepted Him into our hearts, we began to be able to identify with His death and more importantly His life. Daily we need to keep our hearts focused on the high price that our freedom from sin cost. Daily we need to focus on stearing clear of sin. Daily we need to thank God for the beautiful act of love that He demonstrated through His precious Son's death on the cross. I Pray that you and I both can keep our minds focused on these truths no matter if we are facing a storm or the happiness of our lives high on the mountaintop.

No comments: