Monday, September 15, 2008

Prayer for My Sister-In-Law

Hi guys....

I would have requested this Prayer yesterday but I could not get to a computer. We attended church yesterday morning and then went to Ryan's with my parents and brother for dinner. We noticed that the wind was pretty strong on the way home but nothing we couldn't handle. My husband was commenting on a few of the trees that were hanging over the roadways. He was saying that if they broke it could be dangerous.

We got home and I was changing into some comfy clothes when I heard his phone vibrating on the counter but by the time I flipped it open, my sister-in-law had already hung up. I assumed that she was just calling about how their church service went so when Mike came back in I told him so that he could call her. I wanted to be lazy and watch TV/take a nap so I swung by the bathroom before heading to my room. My husband swung the bathroom door open and told me he had to go. I was teasing him thinking he meant to the bathroom but when I looked up, his eyes were red and he was crying. He proceeded to tell me that his sister, the middle child in the family, had been hit by a huge tree limb when going outside to move her car. She had head trauma and we were told that they had sent a chaplain to her mom. This scared us all too death.

In Louisville where my in-laws all live, the wind was horrible. It was blowing 75mph and there were accidents everywhere. The power was out in the majority of places along with the phone lines. There were power lines hanging in the road and road signs flying off the expressway. It was not a good situation.

Within about 5 minutes, we were in the car and heading to Louisville which is about a 2.5 hour trip for us. I Prayed the entire way! The wind was awful and blowing us all over the road but we finally made it to the University of Louisville hospital at around 15 minutes til 5. We parked and went to the waiting room which was dark due to the fact that the hospital was running on generators. My mother-in-law was sitting there with my brother-in-law's father. We sat there forever without knowing anything. She had told us that they had sent a chaplain to her and that it scared her too death. We later found out that it was just standard protocol to send a chaplain to any patients in the trauma unit.

So we sat there from around 5 until about 7:30 before we found out anything. Her mom got to go back and the doctor told her that so far they had found a broken collar bone and the bone that connects to the collarbone was broken. They said that it had hit her head but not as much as they had previously thought. The power lines and the trees were down at their house so the ambulance couldn't even get to her they had to walk out to the end of the driveway with her.

So anyway, we stayed at the hospital until about 2am and then came to my mother-in-law's house to rest. We hadn't decided if we were going to go home and go to work or just stay today. We ended up staying and we found out this morning that they had found another area of her lower back that was messed up and hurt. They will be putting her in a body cast tomorrow and she will have to wear it for the next 4 months. If her lower back still hasn't healed, she will have to have surgery to fix it.

We are still not out of the woods, so please keep us in your Prayers. It is a very hard time for the family but we feel so blessed that she didn't have any head trauma. Actually if the branch would have went just barely over it would have probably killed her. What a scary situation but what a Great God who would spare her life!

P.s. Google Louisville's storm yesterday to see all of what happened to this area. It was scary! And the hospital was sooo extremely backed up. It was like a scene from TV!

3 comments:

beth ewing said...

praying girl. what is her name? i like to pray by specific names. it's not like God doesn't know but it helps me.

Anonymous said...

I am still thinking and praying for your sil and you guys as well. I'm sorry she is so hurt, but glad it is not life threatening. Keep me updated and I'll see you back at work when you get there. Love ya.

Hajost Family said...

OH Alesha, I'm so sorry to hear this! I'll definitely keep her in my prayers. God is good to have spared her life, but it will be a long road ahead and she'll need lots of prayers and support for a full recovery from anything this traumatic. I'm so very sorry and will keep checking back to see how she is doing via your blog. She's very lucky to have you and a supportive loving family! Thinking of you and your family!